What is the <span class="highlight">best</span> <span class="highlight">time</span> <span class="highlight">to</span> go Cairns for reefs?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 14:40
ThreadID: 62147 Views:4126 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Friend of mine want to came to Australia to see reefs. What is best time of year regarding to weather and jellyfish?

Cheers
Serg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: young_codger - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:08

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:08
September is the best time.... So they'd want to go pretty soon
AnswerID: 327792

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:15

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:15
Hey Serg Don't forget a fishing rod.

Bob
FollowupID: 595116

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:33

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:33
I would agree to that if you are diving. If fishing now until Christmas is great but you have to watch the 3 closed seasons in Oct, Nov & Dec of a couple of weeks each time. Stay in the boat and use a viewer. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 595121

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:43

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 15:43
Thanks for replay. Actually we planning next year, thus September very OK. However November better suit them for their internal reason. We been in Townsville in October (quite a) few years back and it was OK, though I felt that a bit earlier would be even better.

So what about November? So-so or really not good?

Thanks
Serg
FollowupID: 595124

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 16:36

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 16:36
November is hotter but still good
you want to be out of there latest second week in December.
We go every year from mid Nov to early Dec diving at the reef
good luck
gmd
FollowupID: 595127

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 16:45

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 16:45
Thanks. But how about jellyfish? If I remember correctly they active from November to March.

Serg
FollowupID: 595130

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 17:54

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 17:54
The "risk" is much higher from Nov-Mar.....they have to live somewhere the rest of the year :-)

Plan for stingers anytime of the year, however there is a less chance of them around in the winter months.

Andrew
FollowupID: 595141

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:06

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:06
Andrew,

Why did you put risk in quotation marks? You disbelieve that there is real risk? When we been there in Townsville there were warning signs everywhere and they continuously talk in aquarium and alike about real danger. Though I do not recall that I have read about fatalities from jellyfish stings, while crocks and sharks attacks happens yearly. Interesting to learn local’s point of view.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 595145

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:19

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:19
Serg. The "risk" is much higher from Nov-Mar. I would assume Andrew knows the "Risk" is real. He would be just stating that it is an all year round risk, it is just that in the times he stated the box jellyfish come out of the woodworks in greater numbers. Lots of research done but unsure where they come from, some say the rivers after rain, some say from the north with the winds. Always swim in a stinger suit and the "Risk" will be less. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 595147

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:40

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:40
Serg, the risk is indeed real, just that i was emphasising the word, as there is no "bold" text on this forum.

I am considered a local of NQ (Mackay and the Whitsundays) and know the dangers. I have many friends that swim in the waters all year round and have never been stung ever....which i put down to luck to some degree and something that i don't want to do all the time, especially with a young family these days. Years ago, young, single and somewhat more silly (some would argue with that ) i would do it without a second thought.

Many people swim in croc-infested waters, many people swim in the ocean and dive near shark locations, it is all about judging the risk when dealing with the hazard.

2 people died a couple years ago, one in the Whitsundays reportedly from the irukandji jellyfish.

Sorry for the confusion Serg, yes everywhere you go in the North is peppered with information and warnings on the risks. I hope he enjoys the trip up north and has a good time. :-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 595151

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:56

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 18:56
Andrew,

Thanks for explanation – if perfectly lying with my previous thoughts, i.e. I always been in vision that danger is real indeed.

BTW in absent of bold it is recommended to put word (or phrase) in asterisks like *this*. This is old convention from early word processors in DOS and it is still works in Microsoft Word.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 595155

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 19:09

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 19:09
Nah, i personally think that looks silly Serg :-) I'm not THAT old! ;-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 595158

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 19:52

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 19:52
Serg,

We have been to Port Douglas both in May and September on different occasions and the last thing we even thought about was jellyfish.

The best solution is to take a boat charter from Pt Douglas out to the reef and snorkel or scuba dive, depending on one's preference.

Just about any of the charter boats would provide a great day out on the reef. Don't even worry about the rare event of being "left behind" in the water. You are still much safer than crossing any suburban road.

A good solution is to take a "Quicksilver" cruise out to ribbon reef, if you don't mind crowds. (about a hundred and fifty people at a time on the pontoon), There you have the opportunity to snorkel in a patrolled and observed area, or do an "intro" scuba dive which is very good indeed.

Alternatively, a smaller charter caters for anywhere from 12 to 30 odd people at a time and we have enjoyed both extremes.

I regard myself as one of the most experienced "introductory" scuba diver's around. Every time I go up there, I do an introductory dive, which basically means you are restricted to a certain area and depth, but I love it anyway. I come back home promising myself I will do a scuba diving course, but of course that never happens.

What I have described above, is the best way to "see reefs" but some of the charter services (Quicksilver for sure) also offer a glass bottomed boat trip over the reefs, but this isn't the same as actually being in the water.

Mate, we have even "swum with sharks". At some locations, you are in the water over a reef which has resident sharks present. These sharks are usually white tipped reef sharks and are fairly small, although they look huge through your face mask.

I basically trust the charter operators (and the Queensland Government) to provide an adventure that is exciting but also quite safe.

Gee, I have prattled on enough.

Anywhere "up there" is a great holiday, but I think basing yourself at Pt Douglas, or somewhere just north of Cairns, such as Trinity Beach, would give you and your friends the best holiday. You can commute to Cairns for the day, but really, it's just another "City" in my opinion.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 327836

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 21:37

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008 at 21:37
After living in Cairns for 4 years and the Whitsundays for 2 I would have to say last 2 weeks of October, first 2 weeks of November is an incredible time of the year. It can be very unpredictible though if the wet decides to come a bit early but if it is a good year there is no wind and beautiful days if you snag a good year. I always find May is a good month too.
As for the Stingers, they usually do not hang out on the reef and they are a coastal jellyfish.
Some one above said the ribbon reefs are a good dive and I would have to agree it would be the best of the pick if you want to dive the reef to say u have dived the reef.
Personally from experience (and being a divemaster) the more expensive/smaller crowds are the best value for money as they do not take u to a pontoon that has had minimum 100 people a day for most of the year. As a consequence the reef is really dead.
My first dive on the reef was 20 years ago. I had the oppurtunity of diving a reef called "Temple of doom" about 16 years ago. Just before they filmed a documentry called "24hrs in the life of The Temple Of Doom". 6 years ago we managed to dive it again after coming in from 3 days diving in the Coral sea. That was the last dive I will ever do on the Barrier Reef. I found it dead from alll the tourists killing the reef. From now on I am looking at going to other less known destinations.
Peter
AnswerID: 327867

Reply By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2008 at 08:07

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2008 at 08:07
Thanks everyone for replays and great advise. So far I been only in Townsville on Magnetic Island, but even judging from that I make no mistake that seeing outer reefs is greatest holiday experience indeed. This is exactly why I have advised my friends if they decide to go down under it would be completely silly miss such an opportunity.

Cheers
Serg
AnswerID: 327902

Sponsored Links